Not a bad alternative to the bright light

Not a bad alternative to the bright light
The way to the 1st tee at Charleston South, Millstone NJ 5/19/12

Ocean Club Course, Atlantis, Bahamas

Ocean Club Course, Atlantis, Bahamas
5th tee, Ocean Club Course, Atlantis, Bahamas 7/31/12

Charleston South

Charleston South
Looking across the pond to the 5th green from the 2nd green, Charleston South 9/2/11

Why golf? Awesome colors?

Why golf?  Awesome colors?
9th Hole LaTourette 10/21/13

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wanted '86, but...

After just missing in 1985 to those Cards', the Mets blew through '86, saving all the drama for the playoffs. And after missing last year (I had this same idea in 2008) and the year before, I convinced myself the Mets would roll in 2009, to continue the pattern. Come to think of it, 2000 followed a just miss in 1999 also. As teams go, it's not unusaul. But 2009 is already feeling like a roller coaster, even if it is way to early to characterize the season. Strange, because the line up feels good, the bullpen looks better, but the record isn't matching. If you have to have a bad month, April is the one.

Haven't been to Citi field yet, (I'm still waiting for Bank of America to process my 2nd mortgage) but some first hand accounts from people not easily impressed give it passing grades. I know I'm going to love it, but I have to say, yes Shea was somewhat of a dump, but so what? The grass was green, pristine, the dimensions were respectable, and the place did rock from time to time. They had beer and hot dogs, and other food in later years. All the bells and whistles, they're for girls. Now, I love the superior sex, more now than ever with my two little ones 5 and 3, but let's not forget why we go out to the park in the first place. It's to see a ball or two hit hard, and flash of leather, and some heat zipping by befuddled batters (on the other team). We don't need architecture for any of that, just open space (preferrably green). The grass was always so green, the dirt was always so brown, the bases so white. I suppose that still applies in the new park. I'll be sure to report my first.

Ollie loses it when mistakes happen behind him, we know this. Nothing boils the blood like walking in a run, but it's April. Take him out in the fifth? I'd rather see him implode, get good and roughed up. It's easy to say now since Casey Fossum threw four straight balls to yield the tie, but if I'm coach, I give Ollie a chance to lose the lead. Sixth or seventh, no way, but fifth in April? Let the guy fight some adversity. If he gets that out, it pays dividends down the road.

Every loss hurts, but don't snap. Twenty five games is the first indication. Fifty games and the team has a color. Seventy five games and you know where you stand, more or less. Right now, even with the lousy record, I'm still believing this team is for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment